Add mixed messages to your site

Sunday, May 3, 2009

Can We Save the Earth by Gardening?

I told my sister about my transition/recession garden and she said we should call them "Save the Earth" gardens. Its a mouthful but it makes sense. 

Can we save the earth by planting gardens? We can try to and see what happens. At the very least we might produce enough oxygen to save our ozone, put people back in touch with nature and provide people with an alternative to cancer-producing food grown with pesticides.

Still, I wonder, will saving the planet be enough? Who is going to save us? Will farming heal us? Will touching the earth remind us of who we are? Will getting dirty humble us enough to see past our  pathetic selves?

We have so much to do. So much to save. So much to heal. So many to save. Maybe starting little gardens won't save us but its a start, its a part of what will.

The important thing is that we move forward in the right direction with good hearts and good intentions. Everything else is just details.

1 comment:

freedtobe said...

What you wrote previously about gaining muscle while working with the earth is definitely much more appealing than going to the gym. Not to mention, the oneness ascertained in the process a great thing, no doubt. I was thinking about creative ideas for how to work this into my life in NYC...without a back or front yard...I'm not even sure I will have a windowsill. I do think that working with the earth will help cater to awareness, and perhaps will jog people's memory of the things forgotten at birth. There is nothing negative that can come from this.