Add mixed messages to your site

Friday, October 24, 2008

Early Voting in Florida


Its dark out and its raining cats and dogs but I am going off to early vote. I am so excited. I dreamt about the election all night and woke up at the ridiculous hour of 6 Am. I decided to get up and check the early voting schedule and was happy to find the early voting starts at 8 Am today. That means the line probably forms around 7 AM. This is my first day off since early voting began. Normally I would be sleeping very late today but I NEED to vote!

Thousands of Floridians have already voted. The polls have been jam packed every day since they opened them. One to five hour lines I am told -but nobody is complaining. My bank teller, a Latino fellow, told me he has tried to vote twice but could not stay long enough to get to the front of the line. He plans to go back today.

I think for the first time in the history of this country, we people of color feel like we have some one to vote for who cares about us and our concerns. It is exhilarating. We are full of Hope!

1 comment:

J.M. said...

Hi!
Thanks for sharing! There are little sneaky voter things going on but I'm glad one at a time wonderful volunteers like you are there to connect with people. I've been helping out in Boulder w/ calls and registration. I'm just visualizing Obama every morning...

Great to hear you on Mixed Chicks the other day. You're in my blog roll now. :)

Sparkles, Martine